What is the Average Life Expectancy of a New Roof in the DMV Area
The average life expectancy of a new roof depends on many factors. From size and the specific material, to the location of your home and the consistent weather in that area, and even the way it is installed. A roof can last anywhere from 20-200 years depending on the materials used but if not properly installed, it will be a lot less. Most roofs on homes in the DC metro area are asphalt shingle roof installations and last 15-25 years depending on the shade of the house, how well it was installed and how well the roof is ventilated. Ventilation is a big deal because without proper air flow, the attic space will get very how during the summer and the roof can be cooked from underside. Poor attic conditions can decrease the life of a roof by up to 50%!
A Quality Installation by a Roofing Specialist Will Improve the Longevity of Your Roof
It is imperative that you contact a professional roofing contractor and not a general home improvement contractor if you want your roof to be installed properly and last as long (or longer) as it should. Here at Premier Roofing Solutions we have the knowledge, experience, and resources available to ensure that no matter the type of roof you choose to put on your home, it will be done efficiently and up to the standards.
Average Lifespan of Different Roofing Materials Under Ideal Conditions in the DMV:
- Asphalt Shingle – 20-25 years for Standard 3 Tab Shingle installation
- 30 year Asphalt Shingles- 25 – 30 years
- 50 year Asphalt Shingles- 40 – 50 years
- Slate Tiles- 50-100 years. Slate roof longevity is heavily dependent on the quality of installation. Many roofers will use steel nails instead of copper. 50 years later, steel rusts and the slate tiles are falling off the roof. Not good for a material that can last 100 years
- Clay Tiles- 100 years. And again, very dependent on specialized installation
- Metal Roofing Installations:
- Standing seam metal roofs– 40 to 50 years
- Aluminum- 50 years
- Copper- 80 to 100 years
- Steal- 50 to 70 years
- Tin- 40 to 70 years
- EPDM Flat Rubber roof installation– 20-40 years
- Cedar Shake Shingle installation – 40-60 years
- Concrete Tiles- 50 years
- TPO– 20-40 year. Highly depends on how well the seams are put together.
A Improper Roof Installation Will Force You To Pay For A Premature Roof Replacement
Or a endless stream of roof repairs. Many homeowners are unaware of what constitutes a proper roof installation. There are about 10-15 other components that need to be installed along with shingles and tar paper to ensure a roofing system works properly. Roof flashing is among one of the most important. What is Roof Flashing? Without properly placed and installed flashing, water will easily penetrate into your home or commercial building. Potentially causing thousands in damages. With the average cost of a roof being in the thousands of dollars, you want to make sure it’s done correctly. Not all roof installations are the same. You can avoid paying for a poor installation just by doing your homework. A company who mainly installs asphalt shingles vs cedar shakes are more than likely not qualified to work on flat or slate roofs.
Premier Roofing Solutions Specializes In Roof Repairs and Replacements
We know that finding a qualified roofer in Washington DC can be difficult. At Premier Roofing Solutions we have specialized crews for your specific needs and wants. Contact us today for a free estimate! From slate roof repairs to stormwater management design, we’ve got you covered.