How To Handle A Leaking Asphalt Shingle Roof
If you wake up and find yourself looking at water stains on your ceiling, and in need of an emergency shingle roofer, you will need to act quickly. It is best to rectify the problem ASAP by contacting Premier Roofing Solutions for a free assessment and estimate. A roofing system requires 5-10 components to ensure that it doesn’t leak. Most general contractors will install tar paper and shingles, then call it a day. Roofing is a highly specialized field of work and should only be done by a specialist.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Roof?
The big question is repair vs replacement when your roof is leaking. Is a shingle roof worth repairing? Or would replacing it be a better long term investment? Age is key in determining whether a roof should be repaired or replaced. When correctly installed with all the necessary components, this style of roofing should last between 20-25 years. But around the 15 year mark, shingle repair cost can potentially mushroom. It’s at this point where you should start searching for the average cost to replace a shingle roof. Hiring a qualified roofing specialist who properly installs a roof will add years of life and longevity.
Is water leaking around the chimney and into your home? Contact Premier Roofing Solutions today.
10 Most Common Reasons Why Asphalt Shingle Roofs Leak
- No Flashing Around Chimney– Missing flashing around chimney will allow water to seep in between the shingles and chimney, penetrating into your home, causing leaks. What is roof flashing?
- Backed Up/Undersized Gutters– Small gutters that are clogged with debris will create an overflow of stormwater. Allowing water to sit along the edges of your roof for long periods of time. How to choose the perfect gutter and downspout system.
- Dormers– Oftentimes inexperienced roofers or general contractors fail to flash around dormers and water will leak between the roof and dormer. Why are dormers subject to leak easily?
- No Drip Edge– Rain will blow up underneath the side of the shingles. What is drip edge?
- No Collars Around Pipe Vents– Pipe vents need collars around to prevent water from penetrating the home. General Contractors and inexperienced roofers will apply caulk around the area. Which will last maybe a few months before water starts to leak again. Why do roofs leak around vents?
- Improper Selection of Material– Asphalt shingles cannot prevent leaks on low sloped roofs as the water sits for a longer period of time. It will repel water for a short period of time but in the end, it doesn’t work.
- Age– How long will a roof last? This solely depends on the material used. Asphalt shingle materials will break down and become brittle around 20-25 years. Allowing water to penetrate into your home. At this point a shingle replacement will be the best financial option.
- Missing Ice Shielding/Weather Guard– This special underlayment is designed and placed along the more vulnerable areas of water penetration on your shingle roof. What is Ice Shielding/Weather Guard?
- No Flashing in Valleys– Why does water leak in and around valleys? Valley flashing is important for low sloped roofs and should be installed where two roofs meet. It is an extra layer of protection against water damage as it gives stormwater a definitive area to be directed into the gutter and downspout system.
- Improper Material/Weight– Certain areas with high winds and rain levels, you may have to use metal roofing materials or a heavier shingle to prevent roof damage. If the weight isn’t sufficient wind will blow it off and allow water to penetrate.
Hiring a Roofing Specialist Will Save You Thousands
How to find a qualified roofer? You will want to hire a licensed and experienced roof contractor for all shingle replacement and repair projects. Inexperienced roofers are not aware of what constitutes a proper shingle roof installation. A roofing specialist will install a complete roofing system that prevents water from leaking into your house. As compared to a general contractor who will show up to the job site with only asphalt shingles and tar paper. Most homeowners do not realize in addition to shingles and tar paper that the average roof job includes 5 -10 other components to ensure water doesn’t leak into your home. Basically what each and every one of these parts does is create a barrier between your roof and the shingles and points where water is more likely to penetrate. Most roofs leak where one part of the roof meets another or a penetration. For example chimneys, dormers, or valleys. Most roofs will leak 5-10 years later all because the proper parts we not used to seal the roof at weak points where water is most likely to penetrate. Many contactors will use caulk in place of flashing around chimneys and other penetrations. Which will only temporarily
How To Prevent Water From Leaking Through a Asphalt Shingle Roof
The first step in ensuring that water will never leak into your home is hiring a licensed professional contractor. Hiring the average jack of all trades general contractor will end up costing you thousands of dollars as they do not fully comprehend what they are doing. Installing a quality long lasting roofing system requires multiple components on top of shingles and tar paper. Necessary components includes roof flashing around all penetrations. Examples of roof penetrations includes chimneys, skylights, and vents. Roofing specialist will ensure that your entire system is water resistant.
Premier Roofing Solutions Specializes In Shingle Repair and Replacement
If water is flowing into your home through your shingle roof, do not panic. Contact us immediately and we will turn that frown upside down. Shingle roofs will leak if you hire an inexperienced contractor to do the job. At Premier Roofing Solutions, we are licensed and experienced in repairing and replacing shingle roofs and will take care of any problems you may be experiencing.